Bridge edge protection
Bridge edge protection with the RAND system ensures the highest level of safety for not only people working at height, but also for pedestrians and cars passing under a bridge or viaduct. As a means of collective protection equipment (CPE), it is the most effective way to prevent fall arrest. In addition, it is a very economical solution. We present below how our RAND system provides an effective bridge edge protection both for pedestrians as people working at height.
How bridge edge protection with RAND SYSTEM works?
Our RAND bridge edge protection is based on a metal bracket fixed to the bridge or viaduct structure. This metal bracket allows setting the desired angle of the steel net posts, depending on the needs. That way, we can set the upper post of the system very close to the edge of the bridge or viaduct. We create a kind of “cage” at the working level preventing from fall hazards. RAND SYSTEM works as a kind of railings netting solution that can be fixed to the bridge without even drilling the structure.
Our RAND bridge edge protection is an innovative solution composed of:
• supporting structure fixings: RAND system has a wide range of fixings depending on the needs and the type of bridge to secure
– textile slings attachment
– steel anchors fixings or threaded rod attachment
• positioning bracket: it allows to set the steel net posts in different positions depending on the needs. In this way, the top bracket is always very close to the edge of the bridge or viaduct we want to secure.
• steel posts for fastening the safety net
• 100mm mesh size safety netting. We can additionally sew debris nets to the safety net in case we need to protect against falling items and tools.
• lower safety net edge: we must fix the lower safety net to the bridge structure in order to avoid creating a gap between the edge of the viaduct and the netting. For this purpose, we can use:
– binding ropes 15 Kn (minimum every 50 cm)
– high-strength textile slings (50 KN). They facilitate and speed up the assembly of the system. In addition, it helps us to maintain the proper netting tension during the use of the system.
Legal basis – European standard EN ISO 13374 Class C
Bridge edge protection RAND SYSTEM is certified according to the European standard EN 13374 as class C. You can see below a video during conformity tests carried out in notified body. Please take into account that EN ISO 13374 requested test for such a safety system are very demanding. Therefore, we always recommend buying safety systems certified by an independent notified body. In this way, we are sure that the fall arrest system meets all the requirements of the standard.
AIDICO (Spanish Institute of Building Technology) is a body certified by the European Union authorized to carry out tests in the field of safety systems for construction – ENAC 25/C-PR226.
Advantages of bridge edge protection with RAND PLUS
• unlike a typical metal railing, bridge edge protection by RAND netting allows to completely close the working area, protecting not only against fall hazards, but also against falling items or tools on pedestrians
• system components are made of galvanized steel, which guarantees long-term use on construction sites
• very simple assembly
• excellent functionality. The same fixing element can be used in both steel and concrete structures. It is enough to buy an inexpensive fixing element to adapt the system to different kinds of projects.
• collective protection equipment (CPE) ensures the highest level of safety and increases work efficiency.
• very cheap solution compared to other safety systems available
• certified high-strength textile slings fixing allows to fix the RAND system without drilling the bridge structure
Bridge edge protection with RAND system is the most effective solution for securing works at height on bridges and viaducts. Thanks to the double netting, we can protect both people working at heights as well as pedestrians and cars from falling items. In addition, the system is very economical comparing with other safety systems available. Thanks to a wide range of fixing, we can use the system on very different structures of bridges and viaducts.
If you want to read more about EN 1263 safety nets as well as other kind of nets outside the scope of the standard, just read our guide on this subject.